RHUBARB AND STRAWBERRY CRUMBLEWe’ve now got a fair amount of rhubarb and so we decided to do something with it and make a crumble. In the end, we made two: the first with rhubarb and strawberries in an electric oven and the second with rhubarb and apples in the bread oven.
The crumble can be prepared in advance and then cooked before serving but it is a good idea to only add the crumble topping to the fruit just before baking to stop it going soggy.
- 600g of rhubarb
- 400g strawberries
- 50g brown sugar
- 140g plain flour
- 100g oats
- 120g brown sugar
- 120g butter (at room temperature), cut into pieces
- Cut the rhubarb and into small chunks and the strawberries to a similar size.
- Heat the rhubarb pieces in a pan with a splash of water and 50g of sugar for 3-5 minutes and then add the strawberries.
- Cook until soft.
- Taste the juice and add more sugar if necessary.
- Separate the fruit from the syrup.
- To make the crumble for the topping, mix together the flour, oats, sugar and butter together with your fingers to make crumbs.
- Transfer the fruit to a baking tin with a few tablespoons of the syrup and top with the crumble mixture.
- Cook in a hot oven (200ºC) for 30 minutes. You can always finish it off under the grill to brown the top if necessary.
- Substitute cooking apples for the strawberries and cook at the same time as the rhubarb, adding more sugar if necessary.