I invented this recipe for fried aubergines and tomato the other day and it doesn’t really have a name – it’s really just fried aubergines and tomatoes with a bit of salt – a bit like a simpler version of ratatouille but without the other ingredients. The aubergines are starting to ripen at the moment and it won’t be long before we have plenty of them so I’m trying out different ways of cooking them in preparation.
One of the problems with frying aubergines is that they absorb a lot of the oil. So, in this recipe I dry fry them for ten minutes in a frying pan or so before adding any oil, giving the aubergine pieces enough time to take on a lovely golden brown colour.
Fried Aubergines and Tomato
This recipe is quick to prepare and is best served warm.
- 4 medium-sized aubergines, halved lengthways and then cut into 1cm slices
- 2 large tomatoes, coarsely grated
- extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a frying pan on a high heat.
- When hot, add the aubergine slices, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn them over and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Drizzle over some extra virgin olive oil and season with salt.
- Keep turning the aubergines every so often until they have got some good colour.
- Add the tomatoes and fry on a high heat for another couple of minutes
- Turn the heat down low and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Leave the lid on and leave in the pan until you need to serve them.