Dried aubergines have a firm consistency when cooked. I’m still not sure whether this is a good thing or if they need to be cooked for longer. For this recipe, I soaked the dried aubergines overnight in cold water but next time, I will try putting them in boiling water to see if they soften up more. For more information about cooking with dried vegetables, see this page. Information about how to make your own solar drier can be found here.
- 2 cups dried aubergines, soaked in boiling water overnight
- 1 onion, roughly
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- salt and pepper
- extra virgin olive oil
- On a fairly high flame, heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Add the cumin seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion and fry until soft.
- Drain the aubergine and add to the pan.
- Toss well and continuing frying, adding the remaining spices and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes or so.
- Cover and continue frying until the aubergines are soft